Friday, May 31, 2013

What I Run For

Every once in a while we find something that makes us happy; we feel free, we get excited to do it, when we are doing it everything else melts away and all of the sudden the world isn't such a stressful place anymore.


This is what running is for me, I know it isn't for everyone but I have found that running is my workout outlet/aka escape.


Benefits of Running
1. Running is one of the top activities for burning fat, with exception of cross country skiing running burns more calories per minute that any other form of cardiovascular exercise.
2. Running helps prevent bone and muscle loss.
3. Running reduces the risk of stroke and breast cancer
4. Running busts your immune system
5. Running releases endorphins, which give you a general sense of happiness.
6. Running improves your coordination and versatility

In high school my sisters ran cross country; like all younger siblings, I wanted to have the camaraderie of a mutual interest with my older cooler siblings.  

In college I ran 5 days a week with my boy friend, as he trained for a marathon.  Our relationship only lasted 9 months but because of him, I met some of my favorite running friends.  Those same girls 13 years later, are my closest friends and we still go running on occasion.


Some of my closest and most long lasting friends, all runners.
Now as an adult, it is that 1 hour of freedom on my lunch break or after work.  I especially love running in the spring, summer, and fall months as the weather is warming up and everything seems so alive.

In 2009, I ran my first half marathon.  I was with a bunch of friends and of them had paid to run a half marathon but didn't feel up to it.  It was the night before the race and they said "hey Ashlee want to run for me" since I run almost everyday I thought "why not, I've never ran a half marathon". 

I've done a few races since then and I've found that I like training, I know that sounds silly but I really do.  When you sign up for a race you feel like you have to train, it's the motivation to run because if you don't you are going to regret it.  I run for fun, when it stops being fun then I will most likely find something else to keep in shape with.

In two weeks, June 15th I am running my first half marathon of this year 2013. 

Wish me luck!
 




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...