Monday, April 9, 2012

Jewelry and Personality (Things we pass down to our children)

When it comes to jewelry, I say do your thing. What you wear is an expression of who you are, I personally don't like to wear a ton of jewelry, just a few pieces to enhance what I'm already wearing.  If you can't wear it with confidence, then go out and find something you can.
This is one of my fav necklaces... simple yet pretty.


Tips:
1. Don't wear rings on every finger.  It doesn't make you look wealthy, it makes you look crazy.
2. Find out your style and go with it.  (Example: I don't like things that are bulky or too ornate... makes me feel suffocated and I just want to take it off as soon as I can).
3.  It's better to have a few quality things than tons of junky pieces.


Jewelry that has meaning to me:Today April 9th is my Grandma Judy's Birthday, Happy Birthday Grandma!  I thought of the things my grandma passed on to her loved ones… Jewelry and personality.
My Grandma Judy loved beautiful things and she passed on some truely lovely things to her grandchildren.
Locket- When my dad died my grandma & aunts gave me a locket with my father’s picture in it (baby picture).  I didn’t have the right chain to wear with it till my aunt gave me a silver one from my cousin Kenzi.  This locket has so much value to me (grandma, aunts, father, and cousin).  It is one of those things I cherish.

Pearls- A few years ago, my grandma Judy died.  My aunts called me up and asked what colors I liked… a few months later they sent me a box with her pearls in it.  I called my grandpa and he told me that he bought them for her over 50 years ago for no reason other than he loved her.  I wear them often and think of her every time I do.

Fathers Pocket Watch- My father died 6 years ago in a car crash.  Being the third child out of 9 meant that there wasn’t a lot to pass out after he died.  I have three things from my father, two bags he gave me before he died and a pocket watch.  Since the watch is made of gold, I searched everywhere for the perfect chain that would make it look more feminine on my neck.  This piece of jewelry means so much to me, and I love wearing it and thinking of my father.
Note: When I was in Palm Springs the other day, I saw the same concept at the street fair and loved that my idea was the newest craze.   Below are pictures of the pocket watches I saw in Palm Springs.



Aunt Michele & Uncle Bobby Earrings- When I was visiting my aunt and uncle they took me to a farmers market and street fair and bought me some jewelry.  I told them it was my "Boby Bling"...  I will always treasure those earrings because they were given out of pure unselfish love.  I was so touched when they bought them for me, felt undeserving of such kindness.
Forgiving Heart- I was talking to my grandfather about my grandmother and he told me she had a huge heart and she couldn’t stay mad at anyone.  It was the first time I realized how much alike we were; I for some reason am unable to keep anger in my heart… I don’t like to hold on to hurt or pain, it is much better for me to just let it go and move forward.
Laughter- My father and grandmother loved to laugh, they had a contagious happy laugh which would brighten all around them.  When I am with my sisters & brothers and my aunts I find that we can sit around for hours and just laugh/enjoy each others company.  I find that the gift of laughter/happiness is one of the greatest ones to give.
Below is a picture of my father and I, when I was a child.
Love – My father loved my mother and his family more than anything on this earth.  My parents were so cute together; we would often find them holding hands and sneaking kisses...  As a child I didn’t think it was cute, but now I realize how fortunate I was to have parents who truly loved each other and stood by each other in the difficult times. 
I believe my father got this from my grandmother, who inherited it from her parents.  My great aunt was telling me how cute my parents were when they were dating, my aunt was telling me how very in love my great grandparents were their whole lives and I see how much my grandfather misses my grandmother since she has passed.  We have a tradition of great endearing love and I hope it continues for many more generations.
Picture of my grandparents on their wedding day.
It is amazing to me to think of the things we inherit by those that came before... I'm so happy for the few good things I have... sweet laughter and a shinny necklace is really such a lovely thing to pass on to your children.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...