Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Tanning- The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Summer is on its way and many of you might already be gearing up to spend some quality time in the sun. Americans have a great love for beautiful sun kissed skin. Understandably so, I know a little tan on my skin makes me look/feel healthy and vibrant.


Your body actually needs sunlight; natural sun light helps with depression, not only that but it helps our bodies produce vitamin D (true fact). Vitamin D, strengthens our bones, and helps protect us against some cancers (Colon, prostate and breast).
That being said too much sun can age you prematurely and can cause skin cancer. I know many diehard tanners will disagree with me, but too much sun doesn’t look good… It makes you look harsh and unhealthy.

Story: I started lifeguarding at age 15&1/2 it was the best job for a teen. I worked out doors during the summertime at pools & lakes and indoors in the wintertime at the YMCA. There was one lifeguard I worked with named Andy, Andy was a ROBO lifeguard (guarding was his life) and he took sunblock application very seriously. He would lather the stuff on every hour like clockwork. The rest of us made sure we always had at least a 15 sun block with us and made sure to apply it a few times a day. We sometimes would tease Andy about how crazy he was with his “application”, he responded good naturedly and said “Just you guys wait, at the end of the summer, I will be just as tan as the rest of you .”  We took him up on his words; we thought there was no way he would be as tan and were excited to see him fail. Needless to say, Andy was right, he not only was just as tan but had a better looking tan than the rest of us.




Sun Tanning: If you are going to sun tan do it right. Use sun block, at least a 15 SPF on your body and a 15-30 SPF on your face, shoulders, chest, and ears. Remember to drink plenty of water (soda/pop/diet coke does not count as water) to keep your body hydrated. Don’t spend too much time on one side, rotate or do an activity in the sun. Wear a hat to protect your face when you can.

Tanning Booths: I can’t stop you from going tanning in the tanning booth. So if you are going to go do, do it responsibly. Use sun block on your face, chest, ears and shoulders. Make sure to wear the goggles they supply, cover your face half the time you are in the booth. Use the cream the salon sales for a golden color on your skin. Increase your time slowly so you don’t burn, and if you feel like you are burning get out of the booth.
Note:  I can’t give you too hard of a time for going to the tanning booth, I used to go when I was young (my mom took me for the first time when I was 14). That being said, I wish I hadn’t started or at least hadn’t gone as much as I did. I quit going when I was 25 and wish I had quit earlier.

Mystic Tans: Quick relatively cheap alternative to going to the tanning booth. I have actually never gone and done a mystic tan. I have a few friends who do this: they strip down get in a little booth, the sprayer mists their body and then they evenly rub it on when the mister is done. You leave it on your body for at least 4 hours and then can shower.

Spray Tans: This is my prefered method of getting a light tan.  Here is the process:  You go into the spa and they will send you back into a room. Once in the room you will undress, if they have the spray block you can apply it to your palms and other places you think you don’t want the tan to apply. At one place I go to there is a curtain in the room and I pull the curtain and wait for the spray technician to come in. They will direct you to put you arms out and to turn around so they can get both sides of you (when they spray your back it is super cold). Once you are done they will give you a baby wipe to wipe off the lotion you put on your palms and in my case the back of my ankles and feet.  When I have spray tanned I have been happy with the results. Let me give you a few pointers which will make your experience easier.
1. Exfoliate, make sure you shave and exfoliate your whole body really well before you go in. This will help you get an even natural looking tan.
2. Remove all makeup before you go in.
3. Don’t use lotion on your body right before, this can affect the application of the spray tan and can result in uneven, or faded tan. (some places have specific lotion for you to put on your palms so the tan doesn’t adhere)  After you have washed use lotion to keep your skin hydrated, which will result in a longer lasting tan.
4. Don’t exercise right after, your sweat will create an uneven tan, (FYI tan streaks aren’t the cool thing these days).
5. Don’t fall asleep touching your face, if have your palms touching other parts of your skin which has been sprayed: It will leave your palms orange and unnatural.
6. Don’t get sprayed the darkest color, doesn’t look as cool as you think it does. (try and make it look natural)
7. Have your face done slightly lighter than the rest of your body:
8. Leave the spray on your body for at least 4 hours before you shower. 
Please note: The first time will be awkward for you, but the person spraying you does this all day long so it’s no big deal for them. That being said I still feel a little awkward.

Note with the Spray Tan: Too much/too dark spray tan does not look good. There was this super cute girl at my work who I adored but she had a spray tan addiction and it didn’t look good. The worst part is she knew it didn’t look good but had formed an addiction to having her skin like that. It was super sad because it made her look really bad and she was naturally so beautiful.



Again: Always use sun block on your whole body at least 15 SPF and 15-30 SPF on your face, shoulders, ears and chest. When you can use a hat to shade your face and remember to drink plenty of water to keep your body hydrated when you spend time in the sun.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...